ssh service staring problem "bad owner /var/empty" but not fixed

Hello,

I understand the problem I am about to ask is not uncommon, and I have made considerable effort to look for the answers in the archive...

On an up-to-date (today) Cygwin install, sshd refuses to start (the MS Management console gives a useless error). On other systems, I have installed Cygwin sshd and it worked fine (I have not done this "recently" though and I understand there have been changes to ssd of sorts).

When I first attempted this install some weeks back, I followed the guide at http://tech.erdelynet.com/cygwin-sshd.html

I didn't actually "run the permissions script" as the author had just days before, pulled down the script. I'm not sure if the other steps on this page complicate my problem, so I'll mention it.

The first thing I check is /var/log/sshd.log, and it's "bad owner or mode for /var/empty". OK, it's some sort of NT permissions issue. A Google search tells me /var/empty should be chmod 700 or 755 (it's 755).

grep /etc/passwd ssh shows ssh account is 1000:513, sshd privsep, home of /var/empty and shell of /bin/false

I've also tried chowning the directory as SYSTEM:SYSTEM (or 18:18).

I did notice in the MMC Groups panel, there is no VISIBLE group for "sshd", but there is a sshd user. My Google searches tell me there should be a group, so I attempt to add the group "sshd" and make "sshd" user a member. I get the error: "while attempting to create the group sshd on computer QA2000TEST: The account already exists". I get this error if I attempt to create the group "sshd" with or with-out the member "sshd".

I've Reinstalled openssh, and even selected Unininstall followed by Install in case there was a difference. The version of openssh I have is 3.4p1-5

I appreciate any help. I hope I have checked all of the obvious "gotchas" so I don't waste anyone's time. Thanks.

-Scott