RE: inetd telnet slowness

I also have this problem since one or two months: when I try to telnet to my win2k box from another host (or from the same machine) I have to wait approx. 1 min. before the login prompt displays (but I see "Trying", "Connected" and "Escape character is '^]'" immediately).

Launching "in.telnetd -debug" doens't work for me: it immediately asks to me username and password but no credentials are accepted (administrator, non-administrator, no user is accepted).

On the contrary rlogin works properly (I always wait 5/6 seconds before the password prompt, but it works).

Trying to better understand the problem I used File Monitor from sysinternals (www.sysinternals.com) a free tool that monitors access to file system by windows processes.

All access made by telnet, telnetd, etc. seems to be ok, but I saw a suspect operation:

process: System:1876
operation: IRP_MJ_CREATE
file: \\.terminfo\IPC$
returncode: BAD NETWORK PATH
other information: Attributes: N Options: OpenIf

This operation is performed by System process every 3/4 seconds for several times.
This does not happen for rlogin.

Can anyone explation what does it means and if it can be correlated to our problem?

Danilo Turina
Alcatel Optics OND Network Management
Rieti (Italy) - Phone: +39 746 600332