New files are being created as the wrong userid

I'm having a problem with a recent installation of Cygwin 1.3.13. Any files that I create (directly or indirectly) are assigned to userid 3199, rather than Administrator. The id and whoami commands report that I am Administrator. Files I created before the installation are the correct userid.

Also strange is that exe's produced by gcc are not executable, but mode 666. My umask is set to 0002, but that doesn't seem to make any difference. chmod doesn't work, but I can change the permissions from the Windows properties dialog.

Is there some setup that is missing? My passwd and group files look fine to me, they have all the entries that are usually there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
kmb