From: Igor Pechtchanski
To: Doug Whiting
Cc: cygwin@cygwin.com
Sent: 10/19/02 2:57 PM
Subject: Re: Problems

Doug,

On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, Doug Whiting wrote:

> I just installed Cygwin from the Internet, and things are very close
> working fine. I have run quite a few things successfully, but there
are
> three annoying problems, listed below, that I'm hoping have a simple
> solution. I looked in your email threads and couldn't find a solution
that
> works for me.  FYI, I'm running Win2K Professional on a Toshiba Tecra
8200,
> with 20GB disk (8GB free) and 256M RAM.
>
> 1) The exe files produced by gcc (e.g., even "hello world") are not
> executable. I added set CYGWIN=ntsec in the startup batch file, but
that
> made no difference. I'm an administrator on the system, so I have all
> rights.  When I use the Windows Explorer to set the security of the
file
> a.exe to executable, it runs fine, but that's hard to put in a
makefile
> :-(

Normally people are assumed to make a reasonable effort in searching the
archives, and it's understood that it's hard to phrase a query
correctly.
However, in this case, searching for "gcc exe not executable" (in the
October archives) produced multiple relevant messages.  I refer you to
those.
FYI, ntsec is on by default in Cygwin-1.3.13+.

> 2) In trying to fix the above, I found that chmod doesn't work.
> I get the following error message, no matter what switches I try to
give it
> (and I've tried a lot):
>         $ chmod a+x a.exe
>         chmod: changing permissions of `a.exe': Invalid argument
> Perhaps these two problems are related, but together they make life
> quite difficult. It seems almost like chmod is not complaining about
the
> syntax, not the inability to set the attribute, but of course that may
> be reading too much into the error message.

Same problem as above.  FWIW, you could have searched for "chmod doesn't
work".

> 3) An apparently unrelated problem with Emacs: when I type C-x C-c to
> kill (exit) Emacs, the computer just beeps at me and does nothing. I
> have to do "M-x Kill Emacs", which is a real pain.

Again, the proper search query is "emacs Ctrl-C"...  As there are quite
few unrelated messages in the results, I'll answer this one: you should
look into the 'tty' setting in your CYGWIN variable.

> Any ideas on these problems? It's probably just some simple
configuration
> stuff, but I've spent a few hours fiddling with it to no avail.

Archive search and Google are your friends. :-D
No offense,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Water molecules expand as they grow warmer" (C) Popular Science,
Oct'02, p.51