Re: Shared Network install accessible by multiple users

Brian,

There is no reason why this shouldn't work (unless you use some special
type of drive, such as a samba share).  I would guess you'd want to keep
/tmp and /var on a local disk on each machine, but you should be able to
share /bin, /lib and /usr (even in read-only mode).  /etc might be a bit
of a challenge, but if you can figure out how to share /etc/passwd,
/etc/groups, etc, there should be few problems.  Just run setup on each
machine, specifying the network drive as the root.  This should create all
the necessary default mount points.  Then run 'mount -s' for each of the
directories you want to keep locally.  Generate /etc/passwd and /etc/group
(you may need to do this by hand, rather than by mkpasswd --
alternatively, you can run mkpasswd on each machine and collect the
results).  This'll probably be easier if all your users are domain users.
Hope this helps,
	Igor

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Water molecules expand as they grow warmer" (C) Popular Science, Oct'02, p.51