RE: problem with package Base: cygwin 1.3.13-2, 1.3.12-4 works

wrong list realy (you want the cygwin-xfree list

 but try the startxwin.sh script.  (see extract from that file below) (and
maybe try a snapshot cygwin1.dll)

# Startup the X Server, the twm window manager, and an xterm.
#
# Notice that the window manager and the xterm will wait for
# the server to finish starting before trying to connect; the
# error "Cannot Open Display: 127.0.0.1:0.0" is not due to the
# clients attempting to connect before the server has started, rather
# that error is due to a bug in some versions of cygwin1.dll.  Upgrade
# to the latest cygwin1.dll if you get the "Cannot Open Display" error.
# See the Cygwin/XFree86 FAQ for more information:
# http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/faq/
#