Re: nt domain security issues with cygwin dll 1.3.13-2

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, David Meleedy wrote:

> > First off, ls will cut of the name at 8 characters, so the real name is
> > probably longer.  Secondly, I'm guessing that you don't log in as
> > AdiPcAdm...  The numeric uid 7469 probably corresponds to your login user.
>
> Yes, you are correct, I log in as dmeleed, and I had tried that too:
>
> DMELEEDY-D01-2: mkpasswd -d -u dmeleed
> mkpasswd: [2221] The user name could not be found.

dmeleed is probably not a domain user.  Just omit the -d...  Also, the
command above will simply print the passwd entries to the console.  You
should actually update /etc/passwd.  To do that, first make a backup copy
of /etc/passwd if it exists, then run 'mkpasswd -l > /etc/passwd'.  If you
have any domain users you want recognized, run 'mkpasswd -d -u <username>
>> /etc/passwd' for each user (if you don't have a large domain, try
simply 'mkpasswd -d >> /etc/passwd', but beware that this could take
*hours* in a large domain).  You may also want to create/update /etc/group
(again, making a backup copy).

> You should use that name as an argument to mkpasswd (when connected to
> your domain).
>
> > If the above fails, adding nontsec to CYGWIN should do the trick.
>
> Which file do I edit to do this?

The best way is to update the system environment variable.  In Win2k you'd
go to Start->Settings->Control Panel->System->Advanced->Environment
Variables->System Variables.  From there you either append 'nontsec' to
the value of CYGWIN if it exists, or create a new variable named CYGWIN
with the value 'nontsec'.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Water molecules expand as they grow warmer" (C) Popular Science, Oct'02, p.51