RE: scheduling jobs

Try: Start->Settings->Control Panel->System applet

In the System applet, click on the 'Advanced' tab, then on the
Environment Variables button.  You should find 'Path' listed
in the 'System variables' scroll list.

> i guess what i am asking is can i use the nt at command to
> schedule the
> bash script ...
>
> what i did is made a .bat file --- in that file it says
> <path to cygwin bin>bash -c <full path to bash script>
>
> i just tried running the bat manually to see if it ran my
> bash script ---
> figured if it did that i would then use at to schedule it ...

That is the correct approach, i.e., see if you can perform
an action (in your case, running a bash script at a DOS prompt)
manually before attempting to automate it.

At your DOS prompt, enter the command 'path' to see the value
of the PATH environment variable.  After you set the value using
the System applet, above, you should see that the directory that
contains your Cygwin programs precedes the directory that contains
the assorted Windows programs.

> so do i want/need cron or is the above scenario ok???

The above is OK, but at some point you will likely want to simplify
your life by being "all unix, all the time".  When that happens, you'll
want to jump the hurdle of installing cron, setting up the cron service,
setting up smtp (for mail from cron), and creating a cron job.