Re: dmake for cygwin

Vijay Sampath wrote:
Hi,
Has anybody had any luck compiling dmake for cygwin. Any help is
appreciated.
I attempted this some time ago (close to 2 years?), so my memory of it is not 100% reliable. I believe that I could get it to compile by pretending I was compiling for Linux, but that the resulting executable did not operate properly. At that point I gave up.

Have you tried the windows dmake from the cygwin shell? When I did so, I could not figure out how to properly mangle path names such that dmake knew it was running in a DOS-ish shell. It kept trying to create ksh files and execute them, rather than .bat files as it did when invoked under the WinNT command shell. It seemed to be keying on the path separator of "/" vs. "\" in deciding whether to make .bat or ksh files.

I came to see three possible solutions:
1) Compile and fix dmake as cygwin-native
2) Find a path-mangling in and out of dmake
3) Provide enough of a ksh-alike to let dmake operate in a hybrid environment (although I don't know if dmake would actually support that).

All three of which seemed like more work that just keeping a windows command shell for building in parallel with my bash shell for searching-grepping and Xemacs for editing.

If you do find a way to let dmake play nice under cygwin, please post the results.

Eric