RE: Missing commands/incorrect behaviour after update

Max,
> > Hi,
> >
> > after updating my cygwin installation on Friday (with repeated
> > re-updates on Monday) I have several problems.
> >
> > 1) Several commands (at least cat and fold) are missing, even if the
> > man pages are still there. Both the download and installations where
> > (eventually) made with everything available through the installer.
>
> Re install the relevant packages.
> http://cygwin.com/packages/ if you don't know which the
> relvant packages
> are.

I have looked there already, but it is not obvious to me what packages would be
relevant. (Neither from the original listing nor from the 206 matches for a
"cat"-search.)

> > 2) A newly created directory can only be entered after chmod 700 (or
> > similar). This is (I believe) consistent with my umask of
> 122, but a)
> > inconsistent with previous behaviour, b) bloody stupid.
>
> Ok... You ask (set your umask) your computer to do something, and then
> expect it do to something else?
> Analogous situation:
> $ touch foo bar
> $ rm foo
> <computer deletes foo>
> "No, stupid computer, you should have realized I wanted to delete bar
> instead!"

No need to get sarcastic. I have not worked extensively with a "real"
unix system for years, but I do not recall this problem. In particular:
To have reasonable default settings for directories I must include
1 in the chmod-code, but for files exclude it? Hm...

> As to why the behaviour has changed, ntsec is now on by
> default in recent
> Cygwin DLLs.

Speculating that ntsec is means NT security, how do I/can I turn it off?
I do almost all security handling through Windows Explorer anyway,
since the incompatibilities have caused me to many problems.

> > 3) I have sporadic occurences of being automatically put in
> input mode
> > (instead of the correct normal mode) when going through the history
> > with the arrow keys or j/k. (Using, of course, vi command line
> > editing.)
>
> No idea - I don't use vi command line editing.

Your loss entirely :-)

Michael