USER environment variable mystery

Hi All,

I've recently spent some time configuring cygwin, and it's mostly gone as expected. I say mostly because I've noticed a strange behavior with the USER environment variable, and possibly others. I've set this in both ~/.bashrc and in /etc/profile to be the user name that our UNIX machines expect (the surname). The windows 2000 machine I'm using thinks that the USER is "firstname lastname". Now after setting these variables in ~/.bashrc, echo shows that they have been properly set, however both my bash prompt and applications such as ssh and xemacs continue to use "firstname lastname" (xemacs get's this from "(getenv USER)", making me suspect some strangeness in the getenv function).

Does anyone know how to *really* change the environment variables? Is this set somewhere deeper in the cygwin structure? I've also tried setting this from the cygwin.bat file, but with no success. I'm using a recent version of cygwin, downloaded via setup.exe about a week or so ago.

TIA,
- Steve Nunez