Re: cygwin-1.3.16-1

> Thanks Fergus, everything looks perfect.
> I need some more help:

> - is your username under Windows really fergus?

No. I manually edit /etc/passwd after a fresh Cygwin install. Otherwise my
name and group are both "unknown". Which is fine by me, as (deliberately) I
do not have a Windows username.

 > - could you send me the output of "strace true" under 16-1?

Attached.

> Here are two temporary workarounds:

> (i) - define HOME before starting cygwin (in cygwin.bat or autoexec.bat)
> (ii) - if your Windows user name isn't fergus, create an entry for it in
passwd.

Interesting. I always have done (ii), and never thought of it before as a
workaround, just as a bit of customisation. What is strange about 16-1 is
that this customisation is not picked up, whilst in 15-2, it is. However,
I'll try (i) now. Thank you very much for your help.

Fergus