Re: How can I avoid using a DOS box??

Max Bowsher wrote:

Sorry, no.

An XP cmd box does everything I need. Rxvt doesn't seem to have any way to
let me cut and paste with just the mouse (I only have 2 buttons+scroll on my
laptop).
On my non laptop 2 button mouse with a scroll, clicking the scroll button pastes. Also Shift-Button 1 pastes. And I've also added the following to ~/.inputrc:

# Insert
"\e[2~": paste-from-clipboard

With this Shift-Insert also pastes.

Sounds like you have options to consider.

Plus, the cmd box has the neat feature of being able to pause output whilst selecting.
Neat?!? You don't know how many times I had to go to a users desk because he said he was hung only to find out that when trying to bring a Cygwin DOS oriented window to the top he inadvertantly moved the mouse selecting a few characters and was waiting for additional output. Stopping the selection caused a flutter of output!

If you want output to pause so you can select text, typically you type Control-S. Then type Control-Q to continue.