This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: [Mingw-users] Cygwin Full download in one big archive ?
- From: "Max Bowsher" <maxb at ukf dot net>
- To: "Richard Campbell" <richard dot campbell at air2web dot com>,<cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 14:45:59 -0000
- Subject: Re: [Mingw-users] Cygwin Full download in one big archive ?
- References: <DF08E278E10FC14F87CE7E802ABFD04B039253AA@EXCHANGE01.air2web.com>
Richard Campbell <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>> Impractical. As I said, almost 100% of people won't want 100% of
> It might be interesting to poll in some way, considering how often
> this comes up. I suspect more than "almost 0%" might want a 1-button,
> overnight-style install.
This doesn't require one big archive. There is nothing stopping anyone with
a slow but flat rate connection from running setup, choosing everything, and
letting it get on with it.
>> Frankly, this odd method only makes the slightest sense in your
>> unusual situation (downloads constricted by number of files not file
> I have every package selected, and as new packages appear I install
>> tetex ? (Document processing system)
>> lilypond ? (Sheet music production)
>> Both multi-megabyte packages for very specialized requirements.
> Got them both. Haven't used either yet, but if I want to they are
> installed and up to date.
I have everything downloaded and kept up to date (but not installed). But at
no point would one big archive have been useful to me.
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting: http://cygwin.com/bugs.html