Re: /etc/inetd.conf: No such file or directory

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Mikhail Teterin wrote:

> > The paragraph you quote would make at least some sense to you
> > if you read the User's Guide
> > (http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#USING-PATHNAMES specifically
> > should help) or perhaps looked at the output of 'mount --help'.
> >
> > Try it.  You might like it. ;-)
>
> I wish you had addressed my primary question with the similar wit...
>
> Whatever the mount/mapping are doing, somehow, they are different for
> the same inetd.exe depending on whether it starts as a service or from
> command line.
>
> The actual mapping:
>
>         C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type user (binmode)
>         C:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type user (binmode)
>         C:\cygwin on / type user (binmode)
>
> does not suggest any trouble, does it?

Yes, it does.  The trouble is that these are *user* mounts.  This means
that another user will not see these mounts.

> Why is the inetd.conf not found,
> even though both -- the cmd's ``dir'' and CygWin's ls confirm its presense:
>
>         C:\>dir C:\cygwin\etc\inetd.conf
>          Volume in drive C has no label.
>          Volume Serial Number is 07D1-0517
>
>          Directory of C:\cygwin\etc
>
>         12/16/2002  02:01p               1,973 inetd.conf
>                        1 File(s)          1,973 bytes
>                        0 Dir(s)  23,927,029,760 bytes free
>         mteterin@doofus:~ (439) ls -l /etc/inetd.conf
>         -rw-r--r--    1 mteterin unknown      1973 Dec 16 14:01 /etc/inetd.conf
>
> ? Thank you,
>         -mi

The user "mteterin" does see the file in /etc, since for the user
"mteterin" the mount table points "/" to "c:\cygwin".  However, the inetd
daemon (and other services, actually) run as the "SYSTEM" user, which will
not see *user* mounts, so doesn't know where to find "/".

The solution is to remount all your directories as system mounts, by
running something like:

$ eval `mount -m | sed -e 's/-u/-s/' -e 's/$/;/g'`

This should fix your problem.  Try starting the service again.

If this doesn't work, you may have somehow acquired user mounts for the
user SYSTEM.  The following works on Win2k, but I haven't verified it on
any other system:
To check for user mounts, get a SYSTEM shell (by typing

$ at `date -d 'next min' +%T` /interactive 'c:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe'

in bash and waiting at most 1 minute), and run "mount" from there to make
sure you only have system mounts.  If you see user mounts from that shell,
run "umount -u 'mount_point'" for each user mount_point.
	Igor

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
  -- /usr/games/fortune