Re: Problems with fetchmail and ping

It turned out to be a problem with ZoneAlarm as mentioned in the link. Funny thing, I hadn't run it since I got a router, but when I uninstalled it, it fixed the problem.

Thanks, Elfyn and everyone else!

Elfyn McBratney wrote:
Have you installed ICS or any firewall software? If so this will explain:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q316414

Elfyn
elfyn@exposure.org.uk

--- "David E. Bath" <davidbath1@attbi.com> wrote:

I had everything working well with my fetchmail setup. Then without
making any changes to the cygwin files or .fetchmailrc, fetchmail
started reporting:

"POP3 connection to ****.*****.com failed: Connection refused"  no
matter which server I try to access.

Ping for the same address returns:

"PING: transmit failed, error code 65."

Since there are no man pages for ping, I have no idea what the error
code means.

This is with WinXP on my desktop PC. I have the exact same setup on my
laptop PC, again with WinXP, and it works just fine. I suspect it's a
WinXP setup problem, but I don't know where to go from here to solve it.

Any ideas?

www.smokeJet.com - Free UK Internet Services