RE: snapshots R us

Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 08:52:50PM -0500, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:

Just installed it (WinXP), getting this:

c:\WINDOWS>uname c:\unix\bin\uname.exe: *** shared version mismatch detected - 0xBC3E/0x3E. You have multiple copies of cygwin1.dll on your system. Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search facility and delete all but the most recent version. The most recent version *should* reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on which you have installed
the cygwin distribution.

No multiple copies of cygwin1.dll on my system.
But there is a cygwin process running somewhere. Otherwise you wouldn't be getting this error. This indicates that cygwin's shared memory is already initialized, which wouldn't be the case if
you run 'uname' from the command prompt as the only cygwin process
on the system.

The last resort is rebooting if nothing else works.
Ok, that was weird.  No visible Cygwin processes according to "Task
Manager", but sure enough, a reboot freed that shared memory.  And
Perl is now working as well.  It's like Christmas in October!
I've just had the same error message after upgrading from 1.3.18 to 1.3.19 when starting a bash shell. I closed all bash shells down before upgrading. The Task Manager showed no Cygwin processes running. However, as Chris suggests might be the case, Cygwin is being used. The problem is because I launched gvim (native Windows build) from the Cygwin shell as a background task before upgrading:
gvim file &

Only after closing these instances, could I launch a bash shell without the "shared version mismatch detected error". Might I suggest the error message is expanded to include something along the lines: "Also check that you have no Cygwin processes running, including background tasks launched from a different version of Cygwin."

Cheers
William