Re: Fw: cygwin 1.3.19 Windows 2000 Professional SP3 bash $home /usr/bin/%USERPROFILE%

At 07:23 PM 1/26/2003, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Sun, Jan 26, 2003 at 06:30:23PM -0500, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
> >At 05:55 PM 1/26/2003, David Christensen wrote:
> >>However, I still say there is a Bash/Cygwin bug -- if Bash/Cygwin reads
> >>the Windows HOME environment variable and gets "%USERPROFILE%", it
> >>should evaluate that to get "C:\Documents and Settings\dpchrist" and
> >>set my home directory to "/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/dpchrist".
> >>Starting in, and setting HOME to, "/usr/bin/%USERPROFILE%" is bad.
> >
> >Sorry, I can't reproduce this bug with Cygwin 1.3.17 or 1.3.19 (and
> >latest bash).  If I set HOME="%USERPROFILE%" at my command (cmd)
> >prompt, start bash with "bash --login -i", and "echo $HOME", I get
> >exactly what I expect.  I see the name of the directory specified by
> >"%USERPROFILE%".  If I "cd ~", I get there too.  Can you provide any
> >insight as to how you get HOME set to "/usr/bin/%USERPROFILE%" in bash?
> >This seems to be the root of the problem you saw but I can't reproduce
> >it.
>
>I think the assumption is that bash should be doing expansion of any
>%DELIMITED% variables it sees in the environment.  It is possible to set
>an environment variable to %SOMETHING% via the control panel, I think.
>And, the %SOMETHING% will not be expanded as it would when you set HOME
>above.  bash just reads the environment variables directly via a Win32
>API.  It doesn't and shouldn't be doing any % expansion.

Agreed.  AFAICS, this is all taken care of very nicely when set in the
control panel or at the command prompt.  Expansion happens automatically
and Cygwin POSIXizes the expanded value without problem.  It's a mystery
to me how one could get %USERPROFILE% in the HOME environment variable and
get it into Cygwin as %USERPROFILE%.  Information on this could be of some
value to the list.  But even if there were some valid way for some other
application to get %SOMETHING% into Cygwin's environment as HOME or some
other significant environment variable, I still can't imagine we'd want
to make Cygwin do environment variable expansion on these either.  Is that
the long way of repeating my first sentence (word) in this paragraph? ;-)