`sig_send: wait for sig_complete...' instead of core dump

Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to fix the setting up of creating core
dumps and wonder if anyone can give me any pointers.

I'm working on my fresh installation of Cygwin on a fresh Windows XP
machine (cygcheck -s attatched). AFAICS I've followed all the instructions
on the web by setting CYGWIN to
"error_start=c:\cygwin\bin\dumper.exe". (If I unset that I get the
stackdump as expected.)

However even the uncontroversial program

-------
#include <stdlib.h>
int
main(int argc,char* argv[])
{
  abort();
  return 0;
}
-------

when run does:
* it looks like a window pops up and vanishes fast enough that I can just
register its vague size (about the natural size of a cygwin bash shell) --
it's so quick I can't even see what colour it is.

* cpu usage hits 100%  as the abort starts and the terminal prints out
-------
      4 [main] a 424 sig_send: wait for sig_complete event failed, signal
6, rc 258
, Win32 error 0
60617142 [main] a 424 sig_send: wait for sig_complete event failed, signal
-2, rc 2
58, Win32 error 0
121254342 [main] a 424 sig_send: wait for sig_complete event failed,
signal -2, rc
258, Win32 error 0
181871550 [main] a 424 sig_send: wait for sig_complete event failed,
signal -2, rc
258, Win32 error 0
242478672 [main] a 424 sig_send: wait for sig_complete event failed,
signal -2, rc
258, Win32 error 0
-------
reproducibly every time (except for first and fourth column details which
vary).

Can anybody give me a clue as to how to solve this; I'm not even sure if
it's indicative of misinstallation by me, a problem with cygwin on the
version of Windows XP I've got or a deeper problem in cygwin somewhere.

(FWIW, searching the web archives it appears that this behaviour crops up
every year or so in some circumstance (possibly in association with
self-compiled cygwin stuff, which isn't so in my case), but I can't find
any messages detailling how the problem was solved. The latest example I
could find was

)

Many thanks for any enlightenment anyone can offer,

www.cs.bris.ac.uk/~tweed/  |  `It's no good going home to practise
email:tweed@cs.bris.ac.uk  |   a Special Outdoor Song which Has To Be
work tel:(0117) 954-5250   |   Sung In The Snow' -- Winnie the Pooh