Re: Minimum Install for Executable Distrubution

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 04:11:36AM +0100, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
>* Max Bowsher (03-02-25 20:13 +0100)
>> Thorsten Kampe wrote:
>>>I checked it myself and I was wrong: the default install is exactly the
>>>base install (plus dependencies) and this is exactly the minimum
>>>install.
>>
>>For certain definitions of minimum.
>
>Well, yes.  I believe the Cygwin people had strong reasons to put
>something in the base (default) install, so "If you uncheck something
>from the base packages, something certainly will fail".

Haven't I already weighed in on this in this thread?

Let me say it again:  You don't need to install everything in the base.

>But I'm curious (and this question is often asked). Do you think
>something from the base install could be omitted /and/ having a
>working Cygwin install?

OF COURSE you don't have to install everything.  You just have to
install what you need.  A cygwin program just absolutely needs
the DLL everything other than that is optional.  Install as much
or as little as you want.

knock, knock, knock.  testing...  Is this thing on?

cgf