Re: Can someone please answer this question I've posted repeatedlyeven if it is just to say slag off

Yes, dumper.exe works.

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Jon A. Lambert wrote:

> Does dumper.exe work?
>
> I am unable to get the dumper utility to produce a core dump.
> I have read the FAQ, the webpages and searched the mailing lists.
>
> My cygwin.bat startup file contains the following:
>   set CYGWIN=error_start=c:\cygwin\bin\dumper.bat
>
> My dumper.bat file contains the following:
>   dumper.exe -d %1 %2 %3
>   pause
>
> The program in question was compiled with the gcc -g option:
>   main() {
>     int h;
>     h = 1 / 0;
>   }
>
> Upon execution I see the following in the cygwin console:
>   $ ./div.exe
>         7 [main] div 2296 handle_exceptions: Error while dumping state (probably corrupted stack)
>   Arithmetic exception (core dumped)
>
> In the cmd.exe console window that dumper.bat starts I see the following:
>   C:\cygwin\home\jlambert>dumper.exe -d C:/cygwin/home/jlambert/div.exe 1884
>   dumping process #1884 to div.exe.core
>   setting bfd architecture: No error
>
>   C:\cygwin\home\jlambert>pause
>   Press any key to continue . . .
>
>   Yet no .core file is produced anywhere.
>   I have also tried using dumper.exe directly with the following setting with the same results.
>     set CYGWIN=error_start=c:\cygwin\bin\dumper.exe
>
>   And I have verified that the process number above is correct.
>   What am I doing wrong?
You might want to check whether dumper returns with exit status 0 - it's
not all that chatty.

== SNIP ==
try something like this in your dumper.bat:
dumper.exe -d %1 %2 %3
if errorlevel 1 goto had_err
if errorlevel 0 goto endlast

:had_err
echo %errorlevel%
echo error!

:endlast
pause

== SNAP ==

If you get an errorlevel other than 0, it will say there's an error and
give you the return code. If the dumper os not sane, that code will be
65535; if there's n error on the command line, it will be 1.
That won't tell you why the dumper isn't sane, but it will at least get
you somewhere.

Have fun!

rlc