RE: Advocacy

I was going to just let this stand, but to 'bring closure' to issues raised in
personal email:

> On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 02:00:19AM -0600, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
> >Either one of us misunderstands the phrase "the sender", or
> YOWTWYWT.  Or you're
> >trying to backpedal.
>
> Ok.  Let me clarify.  I didn't actually read the disclaimer.  In my
> addled mind I thought "notify the sender" meant notify the sender's
> company.  I would never advocate complaining to some hapless victim of a
> company policy.  Yes, I wasn't thinking clearly, no, I am not back
> pedalling.
>
> I was COMPLETELY WRONG to have implied that the *sender* should be
> contacted and I, again, apologize.

Ok, that clarification would seem to me to put the issue to bed.

> >>I've previously floated the idea of filtering out these disclaimers on
> >>the overseers at sources dot redhat.com mailing list and no one thought
> >>it was a very good idea.  So my threat to do so was just an idle one.
> >
> >Idle threats and inciting people to harass contributors, great policy.
>
> Where in the world is this coming from?

"So my threat to do so was just an idle one" + "Good point!  Notify away.".  But
perhaps "harass" was a bit strong; "pester into removing" perhaps?

>  Did you just wake up this morning
> and decide you were going to be a jerk?

No.  I woke up this morning and saw a post that was out of line, and I rebuked
the sender, a person that I know knows better than to post what I read.  It
ended up that my first guess, that "one of us misunderstands the phrase "the
sender"" was correct, you clarified, and all is once again well with the world.

> I did indicate that I was reconsidering implementing Igor's suggestion
> in another message.  Maybe you missed it.  So, once again I must
> acknowledge the fact that I wasn't entirely clear.  I was wrong.
> Whatever you like.  I am now again thinking about ways to do this.

Filter whatever you want, I don't care, other than I think it's silly.  My beef
was the same as the OP's: he's got some boilerplate on his emails he has no
control over, big whoop, get over it, and especially don't pester the guy.
Especially if the guy's trying to help.

> >Really I'm just jealous though.  Man, it would be *sooo* sweet if the
> >only thing I had to worry about in my life was a few lines of
> >boilerplate text on 0.0001% of the emails I get daily! That would
> >indeed be the life.
> >
> >Jesus Juvenile Christ.
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>        ????????
>
> Hmm.  I'm sure this is one of those self-deprecating attempts at humor;
> using profanity to call someone juvenile.  Tastes in humor vary widely,
> I guess.

Jesus's name is "profanity" nowadays?  Come on.

> It's rather "ironic" that you have so many important things to worry
> about but you still take time out of your busy schedule for name
> calling.  I guess that must be pretty high up on your priority list.

Fairly rebuking those who appear to need it is pretty high on my list.
Everybody benefits, including (perhaps especially) the rebuked.

You bristle at the term "juvenile".  I submit that exhorting people to pester a
contributor because of some boilerplate text he has no control over qualifies as
juvenile behavior, and furthermore is detrimental to the Cygwin project in
general.  As indicated above, I accept your clarification that you intended no
such thing, therefore I retract the application of the term to your behavior.
In any case, I reject out-of-hand the notion that referring to somebody's
behavior as juvenile is "namecalling".

I hope this covers the issues expressed both here and in your personal email.  I
have no intention of being a "public email antagonist" (whatever that is), nor
worrying one whit about anybody's 'gloves coming off'.  I have every intention
of calling people on their behavior when I feel it is significantly out of line
and detrimental to the Cygwin project.  I expect no less from others.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle
Brewer.  Patriot.