Re: Is this OK with the GPL?

John Morrison wrote:
On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Christopher Faylor wrote:

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 08:48:02PM -0000, John Morrison wrote:

<http://www.microcross.com/Products/Upgrade/upgrade.html>

<quote>
New Windows Installers
  * Safely install Cygwin with its environment automatically
    configured for Windows OS machines.
  * The Uninstaller features cleanup of registry settings and
    environment variables.
  * All toolsuites are consistent (Stout?s Law) in how you install them.
</quote>

With all the comments wrt GPL and licensing...

Am I correct in assuming that you'd have to buy the product to find out? They are under no obligation to give anything away, but if they provide binaries, they surely must also provide sources.

Yeah, you have to buy it.  They do a 30 day demo, surely that can't
come with source!?  Wonder how GPL deals with that.

(Please note I'm not trying to make trouble, just curious!)

This doesn't answer the issue about source with the 30 day demo but:

http://www.microcross.com/Products/Copying/copying.html

So you can get the source through the same mechanism as binaries if
you buy this stuff.  Like it says, "Contact Microcross for details."
I guess unless someone is motivated to do so, we won't know all the
details until someone complains (to us) about it.  But at first glance,
this appears to be in compliance with the GPL.

-- Larry Hall lhall at rfk dot com RFK Partners, Inc. http://www.rfk.com 838 Washington Street (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office Holliston, MA 01746 (508) 893-9889 - FAX