Re: Permission denied calling configure on Win95

On Thursday 6 Mar 03, Christopher Faylor writes:
> Before you do that, however, you might want to try this:
>
> cd /
> chmod -R a+r .
> chmod -R a+x bin sbin usr/sbin usr/local/bin lib/gcc-lib
>
> If you get errors from the "a+x" line above that's ok.

This needs to get into the FAQ.  But first I'd like to understand
what's going on.

Do we know why or whether it's read permission or execute permission
or both?

If just execute permission, assuming it's not already solved by changes to
setup.exe, couldn't it be handled by mounting those directories as
executable?

Sorry, but I tend to skip stuff until it's becoming a FAQ, but by then
the technical background is lost to me.  (At least, harder to dig out
and I have very little time for this.)

Actually I asked Karim to send me "ls -l /bin" for example, privately,
so I could look at this.

Thanks,
David