Re: New user / CD installation problems

In 2003-03-11 08:29 -0800, Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:

> > 2.  In text mode, I can't exit emacs with Ctrl-X Ctrl-C.  To get out I
> >     have to background it with Ctrl-Z and then find its process number
> >     with ps and kill it.
>
> Do you have CYGWIN=tty?

Never heard of it.  Thanks.  It fixed the problem.  Gave me a new one,
though.  After leaving emacs, what I type is not echoed to the screen.

This can be fixed by leaving Cygwin and running it again.

> > It is the runnable installation, the "cygwin" directory tree, that I
> > am talking about.  Some time ago I tried it with the source tree on
> > the CD, running setup and trying to install from that, but it was a
> > total failure (the setup program refused to look at the CD and I could
> > find no way of directing it to do so.)
>
> You need to copy the ftp3a%2f%2f... directory *with* setup.ini and the
> release/ dir to your local hard drive.

I was not waiting long enough for the list of packages to show up.
Given the length of the wait (on an old Pentium), several minutes, I
assumed it had died...

> > 6.  File names that are all lowercase in the standard installation
> >     switch to all uppercase when copied either from the CD or the
> >     cpio.gz file.  Can anyone explain what is happening here, and if
>
> Sounds like ISO9660 to me.

Sounds like ...   Thanks, anyway.

You solved just about all my problems.  The speed problem, that
everything takes 10 or more times as long as on Linux, I assume is
normal...

-- Michael Talbot-Wilson