Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: cygwin-1.3.21-1

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 11:01:53AM +0100, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
>*Christopher Faylor (03-03-13 08:51 +0100)

>>>I commonly run a compilation from within GNU Emacs.  I've never had any
>>>problems with this until I tried running 1.3.21-1.  I think it has to
>>>do with the changes to the console handling.
>>
>>Yeah, and isn't it a *shame* that when I suggest that people should try
>>a snapshot, they never do?  The only way I have to test new features is
>>to release a new version of cygwin, apparently.  And, then listen to
>>the complaints.
>
>Like in the old days: noone wants to try a "beta" or "snapshot" (except
>when he's got problems with the existing release).  Call it "Preview
>Release" or "Release Candidate" and make it very easy accessible.
>
>Even I as a long-time-user wouldn't know (without research) where to
>get and how to install a "snapshot".

So you couldn't even do, one minute of research before sending this
email.  Got it.

Go to the cygwin web site and look for the word "snapshot".

Sometimes I mention this in my "try a snapshot" mail.  Other times, even
today, I overestimate the abilities of the cygwin mailing list audience.
I guess that says a lot either about my indomitable optimisim or my
incorrigible stupidity.  Probably the latter.

For the record, I'm not going to invent YA release mechanism that will
only serve to frustrate me in the end.  If you want a more robust
cygwin, then try the snapshots when I suggest them.  If you want
releases that haven't been well tested then feel free to continue to
ignore me when I say "try a snapshot".  Suggesting that you are not
inclined to do the very minimal research involved in figuring out how to
try snapshots isn't the best way to convince me that something needs to
be done since what it suggests to me is that I should just be too lazy
to continue to make any further releases.  That would be substantially
less work for me.

cgf