RE: Cygwin + Oracle (Pro*C)

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, günter strubinsky wrote:

> Well, it's not as trivial. The windows installation of Oracle preconfigures
> for Visual C and creates all the micro$oft junk. There is no makefile as
> example.

This is only partially true.  While Oracle does provide a graphic
interface for many things, most of the command line environment is also
present, just like the unix ports.  lsnrctl is an example.  It's a
command line utility to manipulate the listener, just like in the unix
ports.  proc is another.  proc takes the same command lines as documented
in the Pro*C manual.  These manuals should be available online at
oracle.com, or on the Documentation CD which should have been shipped
with the installation CD.

> The documentation is virtually not existent, adapting to Microsoft's way:
> 'The user is too stupid to understand; keep them in the dark so they can't
> harm'. That's why there is a windows GUI-application that allows one button
> precompile.

This is not true.  Windows is a more graphicly inclined environment, and
Oracle often tries to provide easy and simple tools appropriate for the
given environment.  Windows easily accommodates graphic interfaces and
customers often like to keep with one paradigm instead of having to
switch between two or more.  Many unix environments might be running
under X, but often they are just opening xterms to type commands.

> # I need to know how to invoke the precompiler manually.

Set your $PATH and go seek the manual.

> # How to compile & link the resulting C file.

This is not what your original email stated.  Compiling and linking is a
different, but arguably related, topic from "how to get proc to work
under cygwin".  Since proc is just a windows app, you can run it like any
other windows app from a cygwin shell.

> It is very hard to deduct what lib's and .h files should be included,
> especially since the directory tree is huge. I will dig around and make it
> work. Sooner or later. Sooner would be naturally better.
>
> Therefore: if anybody got further than me. I appreciate any hints you
> provide and will post whatever conclusions I derive. Without HTML! 8p

Common headers are provided in the public directories of the various
products.  Most Oracle libraries under Windows are DLLs.  Check the demo
directories under precomp for some example code and makefiles.

I'm getting the impression you want to compile & link using gcc and not
Visual C++.  If that's the case, then this will likely not work, or at
least will take a large amount of effort.  Oracle uses the MSVCRT runtime
which has been proven to not mix well with cygwin and gcc runtimes.
A little more definition on your goals would really help here.

--
Peter A. Castro <doctor at fruitbat dot org> or <Peter dot Castro at oracle dot com>