Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] New release of setup.exe (2.249.2.10)

Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 08:35:34AM +0100, Markus Schönhaber wrote:

OK, I should be able to get that done.

OK, thanks Markus.

The results of this test will not be influenced by the flavour of the existing cygwin installation (who did it, what was installed etc.)?

Yes, it will depend on who did it. The only data point I am interested in is what happens when a non privileged user answers Yes to the Run As administrator Windows pop up.

Pierre

I'm not quite sure whether this answers my question. To be able put a script into /etc/postinstall there has to exist a cygwin installation on the machine or /etc/postinstall wouldn't even be there to drop something in. I wondered if the way this previously existing cygwin installation was created had any influence on the outcome of the test.

Anyway, here's what I did:
W2k Server SP3, domain member, old cygwin moved out of the way, registry keys deleted, CYGWIN unset.
- Download setup.exe from cygwin.com (version info on welcome screen says: 2.249.2.10),
- start setup.exe as non-privileged domain user,
- "Install program as..." box comes up,
- use credentials of local admin,
- select some packages,
- setup completes without visible warning,
- /etc/passwd and /etc/group contain all local users and groups but, as expected, no domain users / groups,
- most files are owned by local admin group, group is set to users (also local).
So, setup seems to have done it's job as good as can be expected when run by a user with local admin but no domain rights.

- create /etc/postinstall/testchown.sh with the contents you posted,
- chown it to 544:545,
- chmod it to a+rwx,
- start setup.exe as non-privileged domain user,
- "Install program as..." box comes up,
- use credentials of local admin,
- leave package list as is,
- setup says that nothing was to be installed,
- in /etc:
$ cat testchown
uid=500(mks) gid=513(Kein) groups=513(Kein),544(Administratoren),545(Benutzer)

(Admin account is renamed, as you see)

$ ls -l testchown
-rw-rw-rw-    1 SYSTEM   SYSTEM         79 Mar 17 22:58 testchown

I hope this will help.

Regards
  mks