Re: Building a .exe w/ no cygwin1.dll dependancy...

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Tim Renner wrote:

> Does anybody know how to do this?  I've tried building my test program a
> couple different ways
>
> g++ -o pipetest pipetest.cc /usr/lib/libcygwin.a
> g++ -o pipetest pipetest.cc -lcygwin
>
> g++ -static -o pipetest pipetest.cc
> g++ -static -o pipetest pipetest.cc -lcygwin
>
> And no matter what, the resulting executable still depends on cygwin1.dll.
>
> I would very much prefer not to have to force a completely static build
> because I would like to allow the loading of shared libraries...  I just
> want the C-runtime library provided by cygwin to be statically linked so
> there is no dependancy on the .dll.  Here's my quick test program if anyone
> would like to play with it...
>
> Thanks,
> -Tim

Tim,

There is *no* static equivalent of cygwin1.dll, so you will not be able to
build your program that way.  You can try using the "-mno-cygwin" flag to
gcc (which will build a MinGW version of your program), but you should be
aware that MinGW lacks many POSIX features of Cygwin.  Also, any problems
resulting from using that flag should be reported to the MinGW mailing
list (see <http://mingw.org/> for details).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
  -- /usr/games/fortune