Re: Another GPL violation: Re: Minimalistic Build-Environmentforwin32 (~7.5MB)

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 02:41:16PM -0500, Patrick J. LoPresti wrote:
>Christopher Faylor <cgf-rcm at cygwin dot com> writes:
>>Just to be clear: Providing a simple link to the Cygwin sources is not
>>adequate.
>
>So you keep saying.  Is that a legal opinion on the meaning of the
>license, or a personal request as author of the code?

Quoting
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#SourceAndBinaryOnDifferentSites :

"Can I put the binaries on my Internet server and put the source on a
different Internet site?

The GPL says you must offer access to copy the source code "from the
same place"; that is, next to the binaries.  However, if you make
arrangements with another site to keep the necessary source code
available, and put a link or cross-reference to the source code next to
the binaries, we think that qualifies as "from the same place".

Note, however, that it is not enough to find some site that happens to
have the appropriate source code today, and tell people to look there.
Tomorrow that site may have deleted that source code, or simply replaced
it with a newer version of the same program.  Then you would no longer
be complying with the GPL requirements.  To make a reasonable effort to
comply, you need to make a positive arrangement with the other site, and
thus ensure that the source will be available there for as long as you
keep the binaries available."

cgf