Re: Determining the location of a Cygwin installation

Elfyn McBratney wrote:

But as cgf (the Really Cool Manager) said the registry keys are not to be relied on as they might not be there forever.

Yeah but what I'm saying is that there should be a commitment to at least one registry entry which denotes the [active] installation path of Cygwin. IOW I was sort of requesting it. Again, it's only my opinion. But to me it seems logical that you gotta know where to start... and the registry is there, partially for such a purpose....

Thinking about this I'd use Win32 API calls (FindFirstFileEx and CreateFile) to search a drive for items named "bin" and see if it's a) a folder and b) contains cygwin1.dll .

Sounds like a potentially expensive proposition.