Building DLLs to be loaded from Visual Basic

I have been asked to write some code to be integrated in a legacy
Visual Basic application.  This code should be available as a DLL.

I have built the i686-pc-linux -> i686-pc-cygwin cross compiler and
used it with success to compile a few small executables.  Reading
mailing list archives I found contrasting thoughts as to whether and
how DLLs built with the cygwin toolchain can be loaded from
applications written in other languages.  Messages span over more than
five years, and there are references to ``you must do this for this
cygwin version, but with the next...'' so I'm finding it difficult to
pull together a present picture.

My questions:

- is anybody today successfully building DLLs with cygwin (not
  mingw32) and loading them from Visual Basic (or other languages)?

- is documentation about the process available?

Thanks
Massimiliano