Re: command prompt window title

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, Randall R Schulz wrote:

> > > Igor,
> > >
> > > That explains why I could not find documentation for the "title /
> > > notitle" command when Thorsten mentioned it: I looked in the man and
> > > info documentation.
> > > [snip]
> > > Randall Schulz
> >
> >Randall,
> >
> >I believe the title/notitle Thorsten meant was the option in the CYGWIN
> >environment variable, and had nothing to do with vim.
> >
> >As for vim, when TERM=cygwin, the title of the Cygwin console is not
> >changed, but I think this is related to the incomplete terminfo entry for
> >cygwin.  If you set TERM=xterm (in the Cygwin console), vim *will* set the
> >title (I used the example in "help title").
> >     Igor
>
> Igor,
>
> OK, but then why did you tell me this:
>
> >This is an option of "vim" itself.  In vim, "help title".
> [snip]

Randall,

I was responding to your comment below:

> >On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> >
> > > It sounds to me like there's a script or other intervening command
> > > definition handling your invocation of "vi."

> [snip]
> Here's a clue. Vim's ":set title" and ":set notitle" work if I invoke
> Vim thusly:
>
> % TERM=xterm vi
>
> The title string is restored to it's initial value and reset to Vim's
> titlestring setting when Vim is suspended and resumed (resp.), too.

Isn't that what I said above? ;-)

> So it seems the termcap and / or terminfo descriptions for TERM=cygwin
> could have the necessary capabilities added (apparently identical to
> those used by xterm) so Vim could control the window title under the
> Cygwin console.
>
> Randall Schulz

Yep.  That's what I meant by "an incomplete terminfo entry for cygwin".
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
  -- Leto II