Cannot install Cygwin

I have a Toshiba portable (Satellite 3000) that runs Win2000.  I have
tried a number of times to install Cygwin, but cannot.  I have tried both
downloading and running setup and also running the setup over the web.  I
have tried rebooting the machine and then running the setup program.  In
any case, what happens is that setup begins to run.  I get a setup window
(version 2.249.2.10) and choose install from internet, root directory
c:\cygwin, local package directory c:\temp, direct connection (there
is no guidance what to select, but I have a DSL line, so that seemed
right), an ftp site (I have no idea where they are, but I chose one
with and edu domain), and a progess screen that shows the number of bytes
downloaded (less than 40K), and finally a select package screen.  At this
point, the screen is still active, but the minute I try to click on All,
the screen freezes and no longer responds to anything.  The All is not
highlighted and the slider no longer slides.  It does respond to the close
window icon, but only with the information that the window is not
responding and offerring me the choice of cancel or end task.  Cancel just
puts me where I was, while close task ends the setup program with no
installation.  As I said, I tried this a couple different ways with a
couple different ftp sites and it always ends this way.

Michael Barr