Problem with ls and similar commands in tcsh

I just spotted the thread of this title, in the <cygwin at cygwin dot com>ñ
archive for October 2002.  I've been having the same problems [1], and
have traced the "If: expression syntax" error to the lines

if ( -r $HOME/.netrc ) then

and

if ( -f $HOME/.mh_profile && -x "`which folders`" ) then

in /etc/profile.d/complete.tcsh

This also explains the problem expanding the wildcard in ls, since if
complete.tcsh ran all the way through, it would (at least under some
cirumstances) unset noglob.

However, I still don't know how to solve the problem.  Any ideas, please?

Hint: the problem appears to be dependent on which user is running tcsh.

[1] The problems are: tcsh reports the error "If: expression syntax" on
startup, and ls fails to expand the wildcard *.

--
Thanks

Dan Hatton

<http://www.bib.hatton.btinternet.co.uk/dan/>