Re: cygwin + sshd = nagle?

On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 03:56:24PM +0100, steve dot simon at snellwilcox dot com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to start an rpc slave on an NT box using the sshd demon.
> as I am running an RPC protocol I don't want nagle active.
>
> If I run sshd with three -d options to get very chatty debug I see it try to turn
> off nagle (even though strictly I have asked for a non-interactive session and from
> my reading of the code it should enable nagle !)

I'm confused.  Your first sentence implies you don't want nagle but
you're now complaining that nagle gets deactivated?!?

Anyway, it depends.  ssh never explicitly enables nagle but it disables
it under several conditions.  AFAICS (I'm not an expert of these internals)
ssh disables nagle not only for interactive sessions but also on all
secondary channels (X11 forwarding, port forwarding, etc.).  So even if
you're running in an non-interactive session, any other socket not used
for the very control channel has nagle disabled.  However, this is not a
Cygwin issue.  I suggest discussing this on the official ssh mailing
list(s).

> Anyone with a deep understanding of cygwin conform or deny this?

This isn't a Cygwin issue AFAICS.

Corinna

Cygwin Developer                                mailto:cygwin at cygwin dot com
Red Hat, Inc.