Erroneous line endings (cat,gawk,text mount)

I encountered that cygwin tools can generate file with strange line
endings in certain situation. I have a file (name it foo.txt) with
dos-style line endings in  text mounted directory. If I do
    gawk {print;} <foo.txt >bar.txt
or
    cat foo.txt >bar.txt
I get a copy of foo.txt. But if I do
    cat foo.txt | gawk {print;} >bar.txt
I get 0xd doubled in line separators (so lines are separated with 0xd
0xd 0xa in bar.txt).

<disclaimer>
This is just a bug report, I don't expect timely reaction of any kind.
</disclaimer>

--
 							With regards, Roman.