Re: dll creation

On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 10:32:23PM +0200, Armin Diehl wrote:

>>If you're calling a cygwin DLL from a non-cygwin app, that just won't
>>work.
>Does that mean it will work if the main application is a cygwin linked
>app ? (and what about dynamicly loading the dll via loadLibrary)

Yes, of course it will work if the main application is a cygwin app.
Since there are all sorts of DLLs in /usr/bin, you can be pretty sure
that this will work.

>>If your application is really just as simple as the above, you might
>>want to investigate either using MinGW (www.mingw.org) or using the
>>-mno-cygwin option to gcc.
>no it is not ;-) I'm trying to use gcc in a dll. I think gcc will not
>work with mingw.

Dweui?  Why do you think I'd suggest something that doesn't work.  Again,
of course it works.  The cygwin and mingw compilers are very close to
being the same thing.

>I have to use a dll because the borland compiler i'm using uses a
>different format for objects and can not link the objects generated by
>gcc.  I will try if it works if the main program is a cygwin one, than
>my application could be in a dll.  (Or the main program could be gcc
>and my application is in a dll)

Linking Borland objects with gcc objects is another matter entirely.
There is no guarantee that this will work either.

It sounds like you really want to be using mingw.

cgf