Re: Licensing fee for cygwin 1.3.X

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 10:33:43AM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
>On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 04:49:35PM -0700, Robert Hua wrote:
>> I am using my own custom DOS batch scripts to
>> facilitate the launching of a commercial
>> application. Some enhancements that I want to
>> make in these scripts require more complex text
>> manipulation than DOS can provide, but they are
>> simple to do in a Unix shell (bash).
>>
>> Could the Unix text commands
>> (e.g. grep, more, tail, etc) in Cygwin 1.3.x be
>> used without incurring additional licensing fees?
>
>Sorry for blaspheming, but there are native Windows ports of all these tools
>available, this would free you from the cygwin dll and is probably closer to
>what you are looking for if you just need a few tools.  For example here:
>
>http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/
>
>I remember a few other sources, but i do not have links at the moment, just
>search in Google.

There are still GPL issues, however.  Using those tools would still require
including source.  You just wouldn't have to include the cygwin DLL source.

I know this is pointed out in the next message but I wanted to make this
point clear.  Cygwin didn't invent the GPL and you can't circumvent the
GPL just by not using applications that don't use Cygwin.