Re: Does cygstart always expand arguments?

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

On Tue, 13 May 2003, Jim Kleckner wrote:
I think you're confused about what cygstart does.  Cygstart is for
situations when, given a data file, you want to run the associated
application, like double-clicking it in explorer.  While you can use it to
launch .exe's (by definition), it's probably not what you want in this
case.  Try invoking gvim without cygstart, i.e., simply

$ gvim "file with spaces.txt"

Hope this helps,
	Igor

Running with gvim "file with spaces.txt" & is close to what I want but it is still attached to the shell as a subprocess. cygstart will nicely launch a completely independent process. So that I can exit the original bash and not have any issues with accidentally foregrounding that process.

I do have the .txt file type associated with
gvim but I use a text editor frequently to look
at arbitrary file types or file types that
correctly are registered to other programs.
e.g. .html.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Jim