Re: ash missing 'getopts' builtin (gold star alert)

On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 11:31:41AM -0700, Dario Alcocer wrote:
>On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 06:46:28PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 08:57:41AM -0700, Dario Alcocer wrote:
>> > In fact, I'd say that getopts is almost necessary for scripting,
>> > because its inclusion allows scripts to be on an equal footing with
>> > compiled programs, in that both can accept command line options. This
>> > means I can write small programs as shell scripts instead of as a
>> > compiled program; this is entirely consistent with traditional Unix
>> > programming philosophy, which encourages the use of shell scripts for
>> > small programs.
>> There is that problem left that getopts isn't quite "plain old sh".
>> It's a System V extension while earlier version only had getopt
>> (which is available as external command).
>Excellent point. Upon further reflection, I see that my so-called Bourne
>shell 'compatible' scripts aren't really. I should be using the external
>getopt with the 'set -- `getopt`' idiom instead. I didn't realize I was
>relying on a non-standard feature.
>Thanks for your time. I ended up learning something new about shell

Wow.  Thanks for the reasonable response.  This issue has cropped up
from time to time here and it always seems to revert to rancor.  I
actually opened this message with some trepidation expecting some kind
of "Well, it seems to me..." type of response.  Instead, this time we
had a nice reasonable discussion.  Maybe that's because I didn't get
involved until now.  :-)

Anyway, in my usual arbitrary fashion, I think this deserves a gold star.

I hope our intrepid gold star recorder is reading this.