mkpasswd and uid problem with domain accounts (16-bit wrapping?)

I'm having problems with uid's which I think is due to 16-bit wrapping.
I was recently transferred to a different domain and so ran "mkpasswd -d
-u myusername newdomain" and got back an entry with a uid=133500 due to
the tailing end of the SID being 123500.  I added this line to
/etc/passwd.  My id get's reported as 2428 and it doesn't resolve to my
username.  It seems that the value is wrapped to 16-bits.  If I change
the uid value in /etc/passwd to 2428 everything seems to work.  I had
some difficulty determining this at first and was wondering if it's
expected or a bug.  The domain that I am now on would have well over
20,000 accounts and maybe far more, so this is why the uid is calculated
as such a high value.  Does anyone have any further info?

Regards,
Steven
--
Steven Reddie <Steven.Reddie@ca.com>