Re: ll, la and h

On Sat, 7 Jun 2003, Constantine wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I am a FreeBSD user. I always get an error on cygwins' bash shell that
> there are no such commands as ll, la and h. How can I add aliases to
> these commands to the standard bash shell under cygwin? I have tried to
> copy .cshrc and .shrc from FreeBSD ~ to cygwin ~, and restarting the
> shell, but it does not seem to help, does it?

If you stick something like

  [elfyn@ellixia libxslt-1.0.27-1]$ cat ~/.rc/aliases
  # ~/.rc/aliases: Shell Aliases
  #
  #   This file contains Bash shell aliases for programs
  #   and scripts.

  # Directory listings
  alias ls='/bin/ls --color=tty'
  alias la='/bin/ls -a --color=tty'
  alias ll='/bin/ls -l --color=tty'
  alias lal='/bin/ls -al --color=tty'
  [...]

this in your `~/.bash_profile' file (or add them globaly in a script in
`/etc/profile.d') you'll have you ls aliases. I don't know what h is an alias
for, though. `head' perhaps? Anyhow, that should be enough to get you your
aliases.

IIRC, your shell (bash) will have to be a login shell for `~/.bash_profile' to
be sourced.

Elfyn

--
Elfyn McBratney (mailto:spambot@is.ubertales.co.uk)