Re: GNU Emacs build: NTEmacs vs cygwinized

FRC wrote:

I'm trying to build latest GNU Emacs from cvs on savannah, using cygwin
(latest, almost all pkgs).

I installed the various porting changes into CVS, but that was maybe 6 months ago, and you will undoubtedly have some compile problems because of ongoing development (in both emacs and Cygwin).

Be aware that the Cygwin emacs package has undump support but the CVS
version does not.  The GNU people are very picky about code ownership
and I have yet to rewrite the code in the Cygwin emacs for the CVS version.

I know a pkg is available, but it looks like it's too much tied to cygwin
eg. it doesn't understand winpaths like C:/ etc...I'm also afraid it won't

Patches are always appreciated -- I did much of the initial work to make emacs under Cygwin understand windows-isms (by using existing NT emacs code in emacs) but it is not 100% (the CVS version has more work done on it than the current Cygwin version). The drive letter functionality is one of the things that is not working. I just mount drives so I can do things like /c/whatever. You can use /cygdrive/c/whatever right out of the box.

communicate with extern processes as "well" as with a std NTEmacs distro. Is
it nonsense? Will I have the same pbs if I manage to build it myself using
cygwin gcc?

External processes should work fine. I use the Cygwin emacs all the time and haven't had any problems.

I get the following when running make bootstrap:

gcc -c -I/usr/share/gettext   -Demacs -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DUSE_LUCID  -I. -I/c/
cvsarea/emacs/src -I/usr/share/gettext -I/usr/X11R6/include -g -O2 xterm.c
xterm.c: In function `x_create_toolkit_scroll_bar':
xterm.c:4488: `XtNbeNiceToColormap' undeclared (first use in this function)
xterm.c:4488: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
xterm.c:4488: for each function it appears in.)
make[1]: *** [xterm.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/c/cvsarea/emacs/src'
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

Ask on the emacs developers list. It doesn't look like a standard X11 symbol. -- Joe Buehler