Cygwin's lstat and adding some new functions to newlib

Hi,

I couldn't decide which list would be most appropriate for this, so I hope that people don't flame me for sending here. Also, please bear with me, as I don't considier myself an "expert" when it comes to working with newlib internals.

I'm working on porting a few missing funtions to Cygwin (specifically the fts ones), but in order to do that I needed to add them in newlib first. I added the functions into newlib, and exported them in the appropriate headers, and then exported the corresponding symbols in cygwin.din. The problem is that the function I'm porting from bsd makes several calls to lstat. Now I've noticed that using syscalls in newlib when building for Cygwin can be tricky, since you won't allow them to be defined if the macro __INSIDE_CYGWIN__ is set. By looking at how it was done for other functions using a syscall like fstat or fork, it seems one is required to add a stub definition for the reentrant version to _syslist.h. When newlib is compiling, it should then define the MISSING_SYSCALL_NAMES macro and pick up the definition inside the guard. So, I added this to _syslist.h:
#define _lstat lstat

I then copied the header to /usr/include, just in case gcc picked up the system includes in the wrong order (gcc gives copious warnings regarding this when I compile natively). So at this point, I thought I had done everything necessary to get this in working order. And, indeed, newlib compiles without so much as a warning on the source that I added. However, when it come time to actually create the Cygwin dll, the build aborts with the following message:

/usr/src/cygwin-src/build/i686-pc-cygwin/newlib/libc/libc.a(fts.o)(.text+0x1195): In function `fts_stat':
/usr/src/cygwin-src/build/i686-pc-cygwin/newlib/libc/gen/../../../../../src/newlib/libc/gen/fts.c:1332: undefined reference to `_lstat'
/usr/src/cygwin-src/build/i686-pc-cygwin/newlib/libc/libc.a(fts.o)(.text+0x120e):/usr/src/cygwin-src/build/i686-pc-cygwin/newlib/libc/gen/../../../../../src/newlib/libc/gen/fts.c:1339: undefined reference to `_lstat'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

For reference, I've included a snippet of the source file, showing first the headers used and then the location of the first error.

#include <sys/stat.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/param.h>

#include <errno.h>
#include <dirent.h>
#include <fts.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <reent.h>
#include <_syslist.h>
        if (ISSET(FTS_LOGICAL) || follow) {
                if (stat(p->fts_accpath, sbp)) {
                        saved_errno = errno;
                        if (!lstat(p->fts_accpath, sbp)) {
                             ^^^^^
                                errno = 0;
                                return (FTS_SLNONE);
                        }

The wierd thing is that it has no problems with stat or fstat, which leads me to conclude that somehow lstat isn't being made public in the same fashion as the aforementioned two syscalls.

Am I missing something, perhaps a step I was not aware of?
In general (I know you can't be specific), do my headers appear to be correctly ordered?
What is the appropriate way to deal with a function which uses a syscall not already declared in _syslist.h?

At this point, I'm out of ideas, but I was hoping someone might have had to deal with this in the past and could possibly clue me in. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Nicholas