Re: patch unusable to apply patches to binary files

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 06:00:41PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 12:52:09PM +0100, Max Bowsher wrote:
>>> Because patch always reads its input in textmode, it cannot be used to
apply
>>> patches to binary files - e.g. gcc-core-3.3-3.3.1.diff, which updates
binary
>>> .gmo files.
>>
>> Bummer.  I guess I have to patch patch once more.  I'll recycle the
>> --binary option again for this kind of situation as soon as I find some
>> spare time to do that.
>
> I've uploaded a 1.5.2 test version of a new patch, 2.5.8-7.  It
> reenables --binary for reading on Cygwin.
> Please give it a try (*iff* you're using Cygwin 1.5.2).

Yes, that works, thanks.

I'd like to have a go at finding a way for patch to do the right thing
without --binary. It seems wrong that it should read in textmode when every
mount in the system is binary - can you point me to anything in the
archives? I searched, but found nothing more recent than 2000.

Also, it is very hard to see what Cygwin specific changes you have made to
patch. There is the ChangeLog, but there is no patch, and no way to
reconstruct the official source release. There is, in fact, no way to obtain
the unmodified source at all, as it has not been restored to alpha.gnu.org
since that machine was compromised.

I don't suppose you feel like going Method One or Method Two, do you?

Max.