Setup installation order?

I ran into a situation I hadn't seen before a few days ago when I used setup to
update my Cygwin installation from 1.5.3 to 1.5.4. What happened was that there
were several packages, in addition to cygwin-1.5.4, that had updates available.
Setup downloaded the updates, then uninstalled the old packages, including
cygwin-1.5.3. When it went to install the updates, cygwin-1.5.4 was *not* the
first package that got installed, so any postinstallion scripts failed with a
dialog box from the O/S saying that "Windows cannot find cygwin1.dll in <path
list>" until after cygwin itself was updated. After setup installed the cygwin
package, the rest of the postinstall scripts ran fine.

Is the cygwin package given any special consideration during the install
process (e.g., last to be uninstalled, first to be (re)installed), or is this
something that's expected to be handled by the dependency list? I've been
perusing the setup sources, but I haven't quite figured out the dependency
processing, yet. So far, I haven't found anything related via Google searches,
either.

--Rick