Re: ftp way quicker than cp?

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

You are not really measuring the time needed for "cp". You are measuring the overhead of SMB share access. Using ftp bypasses all this mechanism completely, and sends files directly over the network. Try comparing the time it takes to copy the file in Windows Explorer to the SMB share and to an FTP location -- you'll probably see the same results.

I was aware that there is SMB overhead - just didn't think it would be that great!

(BTW: How exactly do you get the time command working in conjuntion with a "copy the file in the Windows Explorer"! :-) )

IOW, this is not really Cygwin-related.

This is true if such large overhead is only attributable to SMB.

===
I know you may think you know what I said, but I'm not sure that you realize that what you think I said is not really what I meant.