Re: Cygwin_setup.exe comments...

Linda,

Have you tried a setup snapshot?  <http://cygwin.com/setup-snapshots/>.
More below.

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Linda W. wrote:

> Aome comments/suggestions/GRFE's (Grovelling Request for Enhancements :-)):
>
> 1)  Remember a user's previous choices.  (~/.cygwinsetuprc would be 1
>     possibility).

Already there.

> 1a) allow flags to disable some diaglogs:
>        [no|auto]virusprompt                   # default on
>        proxy <host>:<port>|useIE|none|direct
>                                # default=direct or none (synonyms)
>        [no]rootwarn
>                                # default on; disables C:\ root usage warning
>        server <host>
>                                # (default none -> bring up list>)
>        installtype {download_and_install|download-only|install-from-local}
>                                 #default to d&s
>        cachedir <dirname>       # presence suppresses cache question

Some are already there...

>     If any items are taken from the .rc file, then display a summary screen
>     of choices; pressing "BACK" could go back through normal dialogue, or
>     fancier, "Edit/Change" buttons next to each choice

IMO, it's better the way it is now -- all the dialogs still there, but the
values are saved; you just click "Next".

> 2) Allow window resizing -- *ESPECIALLY* on selection page.  If you don't
>     agree, feel free to express your opinion in detail in the following
>     response area: :-)

     _______
     |TPIBA|
     | :-p |
     -------

Frankly, I think Cygwin setup is simply marvelous in terms of window size,
especially when compared with something like <http://www.guimp.com/>...

> That all I can think of off the top of my head -- well, a low importance
> leisure option would be to send an HTTP request for some 1-byte file to
> all of the servers and auto select server with lowest response
> latency....but that's too much work for the benefit right now...(IMO)...

This was proposed already -- see the cygwin-apps archives.  In fact, most
of your suggestions have been brought up at one time or another, and they
all either are being worked on, or have been already.

> I'd hit the window resize issue first....it's been the longest term
> annoyance.
>
> Under the "it would be nice", category, being able to click on an item
> and right click on it to get more information would be real helpful at
> times.  Some program names I don't recognize, and things like
> "nasm"...network assembler...what's a network assember vs.  the
> gnu-assumber ("gasm"?).

See above.  You can probably even search the cygwin-apps archives for
"right-click" on this one...

> Pros?/Cons?  Just different flavors/strokes for different folks (like
> emacs vs. vim?)
>
> Thanks for reading...please, pretty please, don't just delete this...but
> I hope someone keeps a list of RFE/GRFE's for setup....:-?
>
> Linda

Someone does.  Most of that stuff is already on there [or did I say that
already? ;-)].
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/