PHP binary doesn't install, source won't build ?

Configuration: Newly installed cygwin on newly installed W2K. IBM epro, P4,
3xxMb RAM.

Apache works fine if PHP is not configured in.

I've tried installing PHP via setup.exe and on a first attempt it didn't
install at all. I did a find . -name "*php*" in / and no dlls or exes were
found.

On a vague hunch, I tried reinstalling and got a DLL in /usr/lib/apache,
which was a good start (I thought).

However, the module seems to be a little bit old and gives the following
error:-
[Thu Oct  2 17:26:15 2003] [warn] Loaded DSO lib/apache/libphp4.dll uses
plain Apache 1.3 API, this module might crash under EAPI! (please recompile
it with -DEAPI)

So, time for a recompile. Tick the src box and get it down into /usr/src.

configure so that mysql support is not included

configure --with-mysql=no

make install
[snip]
Making install in .
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/php-4.2.0-2'
/usr/src/php-4.2.0-2/build/shtool install -c -m 0755 php /usr/local/bin/php
cp: `php' and `/usr/local/bin/#INST@2288#' are the same file
make[1]: *** [install-sapi] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/php-4.2.0-2'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

Now I don't know quite what is wrong. Has anyone had a similar experience ?
Can anyone get php working under Apache on cygwin ?

Cheers
David

"The information contained in this e-mail message may be confidential information, and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, interference with, disclosure or copying of this material is unauthorised and prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us by return email and delete the original message."